United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is the private, non-profit organization that manages the nation's organ transplant system under contract with the federal government.
UNOS is involved in many aspects of the organ transplant and donation process:
- Managing the national transplant waiting list, matching donors to recipients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Learn more >
- Maintaining the database that contains all organ transplant data for every transplant event that occurs in the U.S. Learn more >
- Bring together members to develop policies that make the best use of the limited supply of organs and give all patients a fair chance at receiving the organ they need, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, lifestyle or financial/social status. Learn more >
- Monitoring every organ match to ensure organ allocation policies are followed.
- Provides assistance to patients, family members and friends.
- Educates transplant professionals about their important role in the donation and transplant processes.
- Educating the public about the importance of organ donation.
To learn more about UNOS, visit our newsroom or these pages: