Your access to and use of this Web site (“Site”) is subject to the following terms and conditions and all applicable laws and regulations.
By accessing and browsing this Site, you accept and agree to be bound by, without limitation or qualification, the Terms and Conditions as set forth below and acknowledge that any other agreements between you and the United Network for Organ Sharing (“UNOS”) to the contrary of these Terms and Conditions of Use are superseded and are of no force or effect.
Terms and conditions
- You may freely browse this Site, but you may only download information from this Site, including any text, images, audio, and video (the “Information”) for non-commercial, personal use. The forms and content on this Site are subject to applicable copyright protections and may not be used without the prior written permission of the United Network for Organ Sharing (“UNOS”). You may not, however, distribute, modify, transmit, reuse, report, or use the content of this Site for public or commercial purposes, including the text, images, audio, and video without prior written permission of UNOS. Everything you see or read on the Site is subject to the applicable copyright restrictions unless otherwise noted and may not be used except as provided in these Terms and Conditions or in the text on this Site without the prior written permission of UNOS. UNOS neither warrants nor represents that your use of materials displayed on this Site will not infringe rights of third parties not owned by or affiliated with UNOS. With the exception of the foregoing limited authorization, no license to or right in the Information, or any copyright of UNOS or of any other party is granted or conferred to you.
- IN NO EVENT WILL THE OPTN OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA.
- Without limiting the foregoing, everything on this Site is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or noninfringement. Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply. While the UNOS uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information on this Site, UNOS makes no warranties or representations as to the accuracy of the Information. UNOS assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of this Site. In particular, UNOS will not be liable for the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, timeliness, or comprehensiveness of the Information contained on this Site.
- The UNOS assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to, or viruses that may infect, your computer equipment or other property as a result of your access to, use of, or browsing in this Site or your downloading of anything from this Site. UNOS reserves the right to modify the information contained on this Site without notice, and makes no commitment to update the information contained in this Site. UNOS does not accept responsibility or liability whatsoever for any interruption or discontinuance of any or all functionality of this Site, whether the result of actions or omissions of an entity of UNOS or a third party.
- Any communication or material you transmit to this Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including, but not limited to, any data, questions, comments, or suggestions, and will be treated as nonconfidential and nonproprietary. Anything you transmit or post on this Site becomes the property of UNOS or its affiliates and may be used for any purpose, including, but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, and posting. Furthermore, UNOS is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to this Site for any purpose whatsoever including, but not limited to, developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such information.
- Any unauthorized use of any images on this Site may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.
- The trademarks, logos, and service marks (collectively the “Trademarks”) displayed on this Site are Trademarks of UNOS or its affiliates. Nothing contained on this Site is to be construed as granting any license or right to use any Trademark displayed on this Site without the prior written permission of UNOS. Unauthorized use of the Trademarks displayed on this Site, or any other content on this Site, is strictly prohibited. UNOS will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law.
- Links to this Site are permitted only to the home page. You may not link to any other pages without the prior written consent of the UNOS.
- The UNOS respects the privacy of every individual who visits this Site. This Policy outlines the information UNOS may collect and how we may use that information. In some cases, we may automatically (i.e., not via registration) collect technical information when you connect to this Site that is not personally-identifiable such as the type of Internet browser you are using, the type of computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you linked to this Site.
- The web servers of UNOS and its affiliates may collect the domain names of visitors to this Site. This information may be aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time of visit, pages viewed, etc., in order to measure the use of this Site and improve content as may be necessary. UNOS only collects personal information from our visitors submitted on a voluntary basis. Personal information may include name, title, company, address, e-mail address, phone number, and the like. Unless specifically stated, we do not require this information to obtain access to any part of this Site. UNOS endeavors to make such personal information secure against unauthorized use and access. The personal information collected is only used for the specific purpose for which it is submitted. UNOS and its affiliates do not sell or transmit personal information to other organizations.
- You will indemnify and hold harmless UNOS from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, liabilities, suits, actions, demands, proceedings, (whether legal or administrative), and expenses arising out of or relating to any use of any discussions, chats, postings, transmissions, bulletin boards, and the like contained on this Site, including any that may arise from a violation of this notice. Such claims shall include, but shall not be limited to, claims based upon trademark, service mark, trade name, copyright and patent infringement, trademark dilution, tortious interference with contract or prospective business relations, unfair competition, defamation or injury to reputation, misrepresentation or breach of warranty, or other injuries or damage to business.
- The laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall apply to all matters relating to the use of this Site, and you agree to submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Circuit Court of the City of Richmond, Virginia and to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division. UNOS may at any time revise these Terms and Conditions by updating this posting. You are bound by any such revisions and should therefore periodically visit this page to review the then current Terms and Conditions to which you are bound.
UNOS may periodically revise this policy. Your continued use of this website after changes have been posted will constitute your acceptance of such changes.
P.O. Box 2484
Richmond, Virginia 23218
UNOS may ask for and collect from you personally identifiable information at various points throughout the site. Depending on the information and/or services you request, you may be asked to provide your name, e-mail address, address, phone number, payment details and similar information. Once you provide your personal information, you are not anonymous to UNOS. If you do not want your personal data collected, please do not submit it to us.
When you do provide us with personal data, we may use that information in the following ways, unless stated otherwise:
- we may store and process that information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our services
- we (or another government contractor) may use that information to contact you
- we may provide other third parties with aggregate–but not individual–information about visitors to or users of our website
We do not now and do not intend to sell, rent, or market personal data about you to third parties.
If you choose to provide your credit card information to UNOS, we will use that information for the purposes for which it was provided. In addition, the companies we work with to process credit card transactions use high grade encryption and security protocols.
When you transmit, upload, post, email or otherwise make available data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, images, videos, messages or other materials on United Network for Organ Sharing’s websites or social media outlets, you give UNOS the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works from, and otherwise use your submission for any purpose in any form and on any media. You also agree that you will not:
- Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights.
- Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by UNOS in its sole discretion.
- Post advertisements or solicitations of business.
- Impersonate another person.
- Allow any other person or entity to use your identification for posting or viewing comments.
- Post the same note more than once or “spam.”
- Make any attempt to solicit organ donation from a deceased donor ahead of other waiting candidates in a manner that subverts the established principles and objectives of equitable organ allocation.
UNOS reserves the right (but is not obligated) to do any or all of the following, in its sole discretion:
- Remove communications that are abusive, illegal or disruptive, or that otherwise fail to conform to these Terms and Conditions.
- Terminate a user’s access to the blog feature upon any breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Edit or delete any communications posted on the blog feature, regardless of whether such communications violate these standards.
The views and opinions expressed in comments are strictly those of the author(s) and in no way represent those of UNOS. We assume no liability for the information therein and extend no implied or expressed warranty or guarantee of accuracy. Finally, you agree that you will indemnify UNOS against any damages, losses, liabilities, judgments, costs or expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs) arising out of a claim by a third party relating to any material you have posted.
Social Media Guidelines
UNOS encourages comments, discussion and posts on our various social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. We do not pre-moderate comments and welcome most posts. We do not delete or censor comments unless they have content that:
- is abusive
- is off-topic
- contains ad-hominem attacks
- promotes hate of any kind
- uses excessively foul language
- is blatantly spam
- is reported as abuse
- makes any attempt to solicit organ donation from a deceased donor ahead of other waiting candidates in a manner that subverts the established principles and objectives of equitable organ allocation
Please remember that when you participate in social media, your comments and/or posts may be published for all to see. For your own privacy, you shouldn’t post detailed personal medical information linked to your name. We can’t respond to every comment, particularly those that deal with individual medical cases and issues.
The content on this page was originally created on August 1, 2003 by United Network for Organ Sharing and last updated on June 16, 2015.